Immune Boosting Soup with Shiitake Mushrooms
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, washed and chopped
8 cups fresh chicken stock (or vegetable if desired)
200g organic tomato passata
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 leek, sliced
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 celery stalks including leaves
2 carrots, roughly chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 tablespoon organic vegetable stock
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 handfuls spinach, chopped
1 handful parsley, chopped
1 cup shredded, cooked chicken (optional)
- Place chopped mushrooms in a medium saucepan with 2 cups chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat when finished cooking so it can cool slightly.
- While mushrooms are cooking, heat the coconut oil in a large soup pot on low-medium. Add leeks and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add 4 cups broth to large soup pot with the leek and garlic mixture. Add celery, carrots, chopped tomato, chicken if using, and seasonings. Turn heat to low.
- In the meantime, pour the cooled mushroom and chicken broth mixture into a blender. Blend and then add the tomato passata and 2 cups of room-temperature chicken broth to the blender. Blend all ingredients until smooth. Pour into stock pot.
- Simmer soup over low heat for about 1 to 2 hours and then add parsley.
- Add a handful of fresh, raw spinach to the bottom of a large soup mug or bowl. Ladle soup over spinach and give it a stir. The heat of the soup will wilt the spinach to perfection without overcooking it.
Trackback from your site.
Belinda Kirkpatrick is an expert Nutritionist and Naturopath in Sydney. She specialises in natural fertility, family and women's health care.