Preconception Care in Sydney – Belinda Kirkpatrick
The preconception period is recognised as being very important to the health of a future baby.
Sperm formation can take up to 116 days, and ova are susceptible to damage for about 100 days before ovulation. It is recommended that both partners undertake a preconception program for a minimum period of four months immediately preceding any attempt to conceive.
Preconception health care can improve fertility in both men & women and help to increase the likelihood of: a normal, healthy full-term pregnancy (chances of miscarriage, premature birth and stillbirth is minimised); a natural un-medicated birth; successful breastfeeding; and, a happy, healthy baby as well as minimising the incidence of birth defects and postnatal depression.
Our Preconception care in Sydney may involve:
- monitoring basal body temperature and cervical mucus to pinpoint ovulation
- blood tests, semen analysis and other medical pathology tests which are used to personalise individual treatment programs
- screening for essential trace elements (eg. zinc & iron) and for toxic metals (eg lead & mercury)
- avoiding everyday environmental hazards
- avoiding common social poisons (eg. cigarettes, alcohol, caffeine)
- exercising regularly, reducing stress, thinking positively
- using naturopathic medicine to treat reproductive and fertility problems in both prospective parents
- treating food and chemical allergies
- treating infection, especially urino-gential problems