Heartburn and Reflux in Pregnancy
- Eat smaller sized meals more frequently.
- Eat warm and easy to digest foods (soups, stews, casseroles, porridge, miso soup, soaked foods)
- Take your time, chew well and eat slowly.
- Sipping is fine but don’t drink too many fluids with meals as it can dilute your digestive enzymes.
- Sit or stand up after a meal to allow space for digestion.
- Try not to eat to close to bedtime. You may need to elevate your upper body by sleeping on an extra pillow if you are suffering reflux symptoms at night.
- Slippery Elm powder mixed with a little warm water can be sipped after a meal to reduce symptoms.
- Chamomile or fennel tea sipped before meals can help.
- Digestive enzymes can be prescribed by a naturopath if these suggestions are not enough.
Belinda Kirkpatrick is an expert Nutritionist and Naturopath in Sydney. She specialises in natural fertility, family and women's health care.